The practice of family law pertains to a variety of legal issues that can arise in personal relationships and families. These kinds of matters can be sensitive, emotional, and stressful, especially when spouses share children and significant financial assets. It is important to work with a dedicated family law attorney who will take the time to review and discuss your legal options, and help ensure a smooth process during what can be a difficult time.
The most common family law matters include:
- Adoption and legal guardianship
- Alimony and child support
- Appeals, modification, and enforcement
- Child custody and parenting time
- Civil unions and domestic partnerships
- Division of property and assets
- Division of Youth and Family Services (DYFS) matters
- Divorce and post-divorce
- Domestic violence
- Grandparent rights
- Mediation and arbitration
- Pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements
- Settlement and litigation
Divorce in New Jersey
In New Jersey, mediation is the first step in most divorce proceedings. Mediation can be helpful in order to avoid a lengthy and costly trial, but only if a divorcing couple is able to communicate effectively. A skilled family law attorney can help guide you through the mediation process, and also advocate for your best interests during the litigation process and at trial if necessary.
New Jersey allows for uncontested divorces, also called “no-fault divorces” through two causes of action:
- Irreconcilable differences: Filing for divorce under irreconcilable differences allows a marriage to end neither spouse having to take the blame. Both spouses must have lived in New Jersey for at least a year, and also show that the marriage has been in a broken state beyond repair with no prospect of reconciliation for at least six months.
- Separation: In order to file for this type of no-fault divorce, spouses must be able to prove that they have lived separately for at least 18 months, and also that there is no chance of reconciliation.
At-fault divorces in New Jersey are more complicated, and require evidence that at least one of the following grounds applies:
- Deviant sexual conduct
- Drug or alcohol addiction
- Extreme cruelty
- Institutionalization for mental illness
A knowledgeable family law attorney can address any questions or concerns you may have, and handle the details of your case from start to finish, including:
- Filing complaints
- Case management conferences
- Discovery and evidence
- Drafting case information statements
- Economic mediation
- Settlement agreements
- Child custody arrangements
- Filing motions
- Negotiation and litigation
- Trials and appeals
- Modification and enforcement of court orders
Whatever family law issue you may be facing, there is no need to go through it alone. An experienced family law attorney at the Law Offices of Theodore J. Baker can provide you with the representation you need to reach a successful resolution. We can help you if you are going through a divorce, have a domestic violence matter, or an issue with DYFS. Our priority is to give you the personal attention you deserve and help you achieve the best possible outcome for you and your family.
The skilled family law attorney at the Law Offices of Theodore J. Baker is invested in finding fair and long-lasting solutions to difficult family law issues. He also helps clients with equitable distribution of assets in divorce, including the resolution of complex property settlement disputes. Ted knows that every family law issue is significant, and is dedicated to taking all of his clients’ family law needs. Call us today at 856-210-9776 or contact us online to schedule a confidential consultation. With an office conveniently located in Cherry Hill, New Jersey, our office proudly serves clients throughout South Jersey.